Everyone needs a good Cheese Enchiladas recipe! Learn how to make enchiladas and impress your family and friends with this delicious Tex-Mex dinner.
I’m a fan of enchiladas in all their forms. Stuffed with ground beef, chicken or vegetables, a plate of enchiladas covered in red sauce makes me a happy woman.
These enchiladas are the ultimate in tasty simplicity. My cheese-obsessed family loved these easy enchiladas, full of gooey melty cheese and covered in Red Enchilada Sauce.
How to Make Enchiladas
Making cheese enchiladas is as easy as sprinkling shredded cheese into warmed corn tortillas, rolling them up and baking them in the oven along with red chile sauce.
To warm the tortillas: Place eight tortillas on a microwave safe plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 20 seconds. After removing from the microwave, keep covered with damp paper towel.
Warming the tortillas helps keep them from breaking when you roll them!
Red Enchilada Sauce
I used the Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce I recently posted about to make my cheese enchiladas. That recipe makes exactly the amount you need for this cheese enchiladas recipe.
If you prefer, you can also use a 16 ounce jar of your favorite store bought sauce for extra easy enchiladas!
How To Assemble Enchiladas
There are a few different methods that can be used when making enchiladas. One method is to dip the tortillas into the enchilada sauce, then fill and roll the tortilla. Truth be told I’ve never had luck with this method, and it comes with some very messy hands.
Instead I simply pour some enchilada sauce into my baking pan, roll and place my enchiladas, then pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas. With this recipe, you can really do whichever you prefer.
After adding the sauce, sprinkle the pan of enchiladas with even more shredded cheese. I used a blend of Mexican cheeses when I made them this time.
Bake the enchiladas for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melty. Top with sour cream and green onions, if desired!
A kid-friendly meal that will satisfy the whole family, cheese enchiladas are an easy meal for any night of the week!
Cheese EnchiladasPrint Pin Rate
- 16 oz Red Enchilada Sauce enchilada sauce recipe is the amount needed for this recipe
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3-4 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside one cup of the shredded cheese to use as a topping.
- Place eight tortillas on a microwave safe plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 20 seconds. After removing from the microwave, keep covered with damp paper towel.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a greased 7x11 inch pan.
- Sprinkle a handful of cheese onto a warmed corn tortilla, then roll tortilla up tightly. Place into the sauce in the pan, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining one cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. If desired, top with sour cream. Serve immediately.