These quick and easy CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS are a family favorite. From a delicious breakfast to a chocolatey afternoon snack, we enjoy these muffins any time of the day.
This recipe is easy enough that you can whip up a batch on a weekday morning before work or school.
Chocolate Banana Muffin Recipe
Muffins are my morning sanity saver.
They are one of those rare foods that both of my picky eaters will eat. I can make them with whole grain flour and sneak veggies and fruits into them. To top it off, muffins freeze and store incredibly well. Like my banana bread muffins, these chocolate banana muffins are made often in my home.
You will find quite a few muffin recipes here on Love From The Oven.
These chocolate banana muffins are a spin on my popular chocolate pumpkin bread, which is always a favorite. One day when planning to make my chocolate pumpkin bread muffins, I realized that I had some bananas that were a little to brown to eat.
The result ended up being a batch of these delicious chocolate banana muffins.
• Plain Greek yogurt
• Ripe Bananas
• White Whole Wheat or All-Purpose Flour
• Cocoa Powder (I prefer dark cocoa powder)
• Baking Powder & Soda
• Chocolate Chips (optional)
Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
I almost always use dark cocoa powder when I bake, as I did in these. Hershey’s Special Dark is my favorite easy to find dark cocoa powder. While not all grocery stores carrying it, I have luck finding it at Safeway and Albertsons stores. That said, I usually just order it off Amazon.
If you are a dark chocolate lover like we are, it’s worth finding a dark cocoa powder. Dark cocoa powder really kicks up the intensity of the chocolate flavor in these chocolate banana muffins and other baked goods.
I’m of the mindset that if you are going to do chocolate, DO chocolate. Milk chocolate is not really my favorite, so I go with semi-sweet chocolate chips, or even dark chocolate chips. However if milk chocolate is your thing, use it! I won’t judge, and it will leave the dark chocolate for me.
Mini chocolate chips are my favorite to use in these banana chocolate muffins. With the mini chips, you get a little bit of that chocolate chip flavor in each bite. That said, you can absolutely leave the chocolate chips out if you prefer.
As mentioned in the recipe, you can use white whole wheat flour or all purpose-flour in these muffins. You could also use whole wheat pastry flour if you like.
Straight up whole wheat flour doesn’t give quite the same result, but would still be good.
Obviously all-purpose flour is going to yield the most decadent muffin in my opinion.
Greek Yogurt is a great ingredient to use when baking! You can lose some of the fat from butter or oil, and add in some protein.
My recommendation is to go with PLAIN Greek yogurt. Any sort of flavored Greek Yogurt is going to add extra sugar that really isn’t necessary.
More Banana Recipes
Looking for more recipes packed full of banana flavor? Here are some great options!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Dark Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- Chocolate Banana Pudding
- Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Banana Bread Muffins
- Simple Banana Bread
CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour you can use all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour if desired
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet recommended, but milk or dark chocolate also work well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Puree, mix or blend bananas until smooth. Add in butter and yogurt and mix until well combined. Add in eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined. Stir in sugar until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix white whole wheat flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine wet and dry ingredients, add in milk and stir until just combined, do not overmix.
- Scoop into a muffin pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops spring back when touched. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store loosely covered or in refrigerator.
Make sure to also try my BANANA BREAD MUFFINS recipe!
Looking for more muffin recipes?
I’ve got plenty of them, click here!
Originally published November 2014