These delicious and easy chocolate cake mix cupcakes are so simple to make, but the flavor is anything but simple! If you are looking for an impressive chocolate cupcake recipe that is not overly complicated to make, this chocolate cake mix cupcakes recipe is your recipe!
I love homemade cupcakes, but I also love how quick and easy it is to doctor a cake mix and create absolutely delicious cupcakes.
These doctored chocolate cupcakes are one of my go to recipe for easy and delicious chocolate cupcakes.
To make these rich, moist and delicious chocolate cupcakes, packed full of chocolate flavor, you start with your favorite chocolate cake mix, but instead of following the directions on the box, you simply follow this easy recipe.
You will add sugar, flour, cocoa powder, water, eggs, vanilla and sour cream to the cake mix to create cupcakes that have a wonderful from scratch taste.
I love to use a dark chocolate cocoa powder in my baking, especially in cakes and cupcakes.
My grocery store doesn’t always carry dark cocoa powder, so I usually order online. I love Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa. I find it adds a lot of depth to the flavor.
If you are a dark chocolate lover like I am another tip is to replace the water in this recipe with coffee (make sure it’s cooled to room temp first). The cupcakes won’t have a coffee taste, but they will have a nice rich, deep chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes
Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes
- Cupcake Pan
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I like Devil's Food or Chocolate Fuge
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder preferably dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup water cooled coffee can also be used
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips this is optional, but really kicks up the chocolate flavor!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt you can omit, I like it to cut the sweetness
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, sugar, cocoa and flour. Mix to combine. Add in water, eggs, vanilla extract, mini chocolate chips if using, and sour cream to the dry ingredients and mix well using an electric mixer. Mix for approximately two minutes.
- Scoop cupcake batter into cupcake liners. I like to use an ice cream scoop or large cookie scoop to scoop my batter. Batter should fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full. Place cupcakes in oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Once cooled completely, frost with your favorite frosting recipe. Here is one that I like to use.
- Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. Mix well to combine. Frost your cupcakes.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Can’t get enough chocolate cupcakes? I hear ya. And I’ve got even more great chocolate cupcake recipes you will want to save and try!
Pin Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes