If you are looking for an Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe then you are in luck! Today I’m sharing my favorite quick and easy vanilla cupcake recipe.
While I love baking completely from scratch, sometimes when it comes to cupcakes, I love the ease and simplicity of starting with a cake mix. It’s so easy (and delicious!) to doctor a cake mix that you can totally transform a store bought cake mix into some amazing cupcakes.
For this easy vanilla cupcake recipe I started with a vanilla cake mix, but you could also use a white or yellow cake mix if you like. They come together quickly and easily by combining the cake mix, flour, sugar, water, eggs, vanilla extract, vanilla beans and sour cream. The result is a delicious and moist vanilla cupcake that nobody would think started from a box mix. I do think that whipping up your frosting from scratch really helps give the entire cupcake a delicious from scratch flavor.
Making these is really no more difficult than making a cake mix following the directions on the box, but you will be thrilled with the results that you get by changing up the recipe a bit. While I used sour cream in these, if you have Greek yogurt (preferably NOT fat-free) on hand, you could try that as well, though there may be a slight tangy taste, not bad, just a bit different.
EASY VANILLA CUPCAKE RECIPE
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cake mix white or yellow cake mix can also be used
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- The seeds from one vanilla bean optional
- 1 cup sour cream
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup butter softened (not margarine!)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp whipping cream you can also use milk or half and half
- Pinch of salt
- Seeds from one vanilla bean optional
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners. Did you know that you can get cupcake pans that hold 24 standard size cupcakes? Love these pans!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, sugar and flour. Mix to combine. Add in water, eggs, vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds and sour cream to the dry ingredients and mix well using an electric mixer. Mix for approximately two minutes.
- Scoop cupcake batter into cupcake liners. I like to use an ice cream scoop to scoop my batter. Batter should fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full. Place cupcakes in oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Once cooled completely, frost with your favorite frosting recipe. Here is one that I like to use.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Mix in sugar and salt, blending well. Add in vanilla extra and whipping cream, and mix on medium for approximately two minutes. Fold in vanilla bean seeds and mix to combine. Use to frost your cupcakes.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Can’t get enough cupcake recipes? I’ve got some other ones you’ll want to save and try!