Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies were created with chocolate lovers in mind. A rich double chocolate chip cookie with chocolate morsels packed into every bite, these cookies pair perfectly with an ice cold glass of milk. Next time a chocolate craving hits, reach for one of these cookies. Your taste buds will thank you!
Words alone aren’t enough to do these cookies justice. Thank goodness for pictures! Double chocolate cookies taste even better than they look–and I think these look pretty darn good. They even earned a spot in my collection of The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are certified as chocolate lover’s heaven. A soft chocolate cookie plus morsels of semi-sweet chocolate is just about my idea of a perfect cookie. My whole kitchen smelled divine as these were baking and I could hardly wait for them to cool to sneak a bite.
For the times when a regular ol’ chocolate chip cookie isn’t enough to quench your chocolate thirst, double chocolate is the ticket. With cocoa powder baked into the dough, you get a deep cocoa taste with every bite. The chocolate chips nearly melt in your mouth, making the cookie eating experience even better.
What kind of cocoa should you use?
While I used dark chocolate cocoa powder to make these, regular cocoa will work just fine. We just prefer dark chocolate when given the choice. I often use half dark cocoa powder and half regular dutch processed.
You can fill these with milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or even peanut butter or butterscotch chips. Whatever you like! I can imagine these would taste great with a blend of half semi-sweet chocolate morsels and half white chocolate chips, too.
Making Chocolate Cookies
This is a great base chocolate cookie recipe that you can get creative with. Like nuts? Add some walnuts or pecans. I have trouble ever imagining the desire to put a raisin in anything, but if you like raisins, toss some in, you’ll get a chocolate covered raisin cookie!
Like M&Ms? You’ll like this Chocolate M&M Cookie adaption with mini M&Ms and peppermint M&Ms that I made for a holiday treat.
You could also leave out the chocolate chips and mix ins altogether and still have a great tasting basic chocolate chip cookie.
Double Chocolate Cookies tend to be very rich, which I find means I’m usually tempted to eat fewer of them in one sitting. Bonus! That said, I find these so tasty that I can easily eat two or three at a time.
Tips and Tricks
- These cookies can be baked immediately after preparing the dough, as called for in the recipe. However, you can also place the dough in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours prior to baking, which will give them an even richer flavor.
- If you decide to chill your dough, make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and take it out of the refrigerator about an hour prior to baking to make it easier to scoop. I find that if you can give your cookie dough at least an hour in the fridge, it really pays off in the flavor.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container. If you’re going to be storing them for more than few days, you can also pop them in the freezer. Let thaw completely in the fridge or at room temperature before serving.
Can’t get enough chocolate?
I can’t let you go without reminding you of some of my other all-time favorite chocolate cookies. Hot Chocolate Cookies are a reader favorite. These cookies are so delicious that Jet-Puffed put the recipe on their Mallow Bits container! They really do taste like a cup of hot cocoa!
A recent favorite of mine are Flourless Chocolate Cookies. No flour needed, and I swear they taste just like fudgey brownies.
I love baking and eating cookies, so it’s asking a lot for me to nail down what I think are the very best cookie recipes I’ve made and shared over the years. Still, I think I can confidently say that Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are my all time favorite. With a rich chocolate dough and bits of peanut butter cups, those are the cookies I crave most when I want something rich and sweet.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
The ultimate cookie for chocolate lovers! These cookies are easy to make and big on flavor.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder I prefer to do a mix of regular and dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups assorted chocolate chips such as milk chocolate, dark chocolate and semi-sweet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until light and creamy. Add in sugar and brown sugar and beat until well combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing until each is fully incorporated into batter. Add in vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto baking sheet. A large cookie scoop holds about 3 tablespoons of cookie dough. Space dough at least 2" apart.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be starting to firm up but still soft in the middle. Remove from oven and allow to cool on pan on a wire rack for at least five minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Allow to cool completely prior to storing. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Check out all of the cookie recipes on this site!
I hope you enjoy these rich and delicious chocolate chocolate chip cookies!
Originally published January 2017