When you say the words Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake one of two things happens. People either look at you strangely wondering why you are putting mayonnaise in a cake, or they ask for a slice, because they’ve tried it before. I’m in the second group, and I hope you are as well! Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake is one of our all time favorite cakes!
So if you are in the camp of, “why on earth are you putting mayonnaise in cake?” let me help you out. Eggs + Oil = Mayonnaise. See, mayonnaise not only makes sense, it makes one heck of a delicious cake!
When my friends at Pillsbury asked if I would like to take the “Embrace Your Inner Dough Boy Challenge” and spend some time baking with my family, TECHNOLOGY FREE (aside from a camera), I was in. Obviously I never pass up a chance to bake, my six year old LOVES to help in the kitchen, and lately I’ve been really making a conscious effort to sit technology down and be as present as possible with my kids. I think we are all a little guilty of always having that phone, tablet or computer at arm’s length. The outside world is always right there, and while great in many ways, it’s hard to deny that there are some down sides. I certainly didn’t grow up with my parents constantly checking their email or social media, it’s a very different world for our kids.
Not only was this a great excuse to spend some quality, technology-free time with my daughter, but it was also a chance to try the Pillsbury™ Purely Simple™ line of products. The Pillsbury Purely Simple line of Baking and Frosting Mixes use simple ingredients containing no colors, preservatives or artificial flavors, providing a delicious homemade taste. While I bake a lot from scratch, it’s no secret that I always keep mixes on hand for quick, spur of the moment baking. I also love to get creative with cake mixes, as we did with our Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.
This little gal of mine LOVES to help in the kitchen. While my oldest is always happy to help right about the time a frosting is ready for taste-testing, my youngest wants to help with everything I make. Turning off the electronics and tuning into what we were doing really created a relaxed and enjoyable experience. And it created a delicious chocolate mayonnaise cake that my daughter was so proud to say she helped make.
I’m a tough critic when it comes to frosting, and I can wholeheartedly say that this is DELICIOUS.
You can whip up a delicious chocolate mayonnaise cake quickly and easily with your family as well!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake And Cupcake Mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- tsp 1/4 espresso powder optional
- Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup water
- tsp 1/4 espresso powder optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake and Cupcake Mix, mayonnaise and three eggs. If using espresso powder, dissolve into 1 cup water, and add to the mix, otherwise simply add one cup of water to the mix.
- Stir to combine than mix with an electric mixer for two minutes.
- Pour into two 8" round cake pans that have been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes, then invert cakes from pans and onto wire cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Combine Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Mix with softened butter. If using espresso powder, dissolve in 1/4 cup of water then add to the mix. If not using espresso powder, simply add 1/4 cup water to the mix. Stir to combine than beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cake and garnish with sprinkles if desired.
My daughter even wanted to take photos of her cake, just like mom does.
Set aside some technology free time, pick up some Pillsbury products and take the Embrace Your Inner Doughboy Challenge with your family! If your family is anything like ours, some technology free time, together, is certainly a good thing. I hope that you enjoy this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake as much as we do!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Pillsbury. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.