One of the things I love about holiday baking is all of the fun holiday baking products that fill store shelves. Including lots of holiday M&M options, which are what I used in these delicious cookies. These Chocolate M&M Cookies contain both Peppermint M&Ms (my favorite!) and the holiday mini M&Ms.
You know how it goes when you go to Target. You have a list with exciting things like paper towels, baking soda, thumb tacks and hand soap, yet you come home $150 dollars later with seven random items from the Dollar Spot, half a cart full of items from the holiday isles (hello Peppermint M&Ms), two dresses for your four year old, Play-Doh (well, at least when said four year old is with you), and at least 3-4 random items from the housewares, bath and home decor departments. I like to say that Target has a $100 cover charge. And, just to be clear, this is not a Target sponsored post. 🙂
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Our was nice, I did all of my Black Friday shopping from the comfort of my desk. I think I crossed off all of the kids (except my own) that we had on our list, now for the adults – always the more challenging ones to buy for. And as a public service announcement, in case you are thinking of going and seeing the movie St. Vincent because it has Melissa McCartney and Bill Murray and is going to be funny? Yeah, my husband and I tried to do that yesterday. It wasn’t a bad movie, but it also was not the comedy I expected. I probably should have read reviews, but we had a sitter and three hours and it was the only movie that fit that time slot. So don’t say I didn’t tell you.
So back to cookies. These dark chocolate cookies go SO well with the Peppermint M&M candies. I noticed they also have Mint M&M candies this year, I’m not sure how they differ from the peppermint (I’m thinking maybe they are chocolate mint versus the white chocolate peppermint???), but I’m guessing either would work well. And of course you can use regular M&Ms or even just chocolate chips. They work great with the Nestle Holiday Morsels. I made those cookies here.
- 1 cup 2 sticks cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder regular cocoa powder can be used
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt regular salt can be used
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup Peppermint Or Mint Holiday M&M Candies
- 1/2 cup Holiday M&M Minis
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- 2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix in the cocoa powder until well blended.
- 3. Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Fold in the M&M candies with a spatula.
- 4. The dough is very thick! Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead briefly by hand to be sure the ingredients are well combined. I kneaded mine in the bowl, and that worked out just fine.
- 5. Using a standard size cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto cookie sheets. To make 36 cookies, 12 cookies should fit onto each sheet.
- 6. Bake for approx 10 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes on cookie sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these and all of the other delicious cookies I’ve been sharing. There are more to come!
CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPES