Cowboy Caviar is a bright and colorful veggie dip that is sure to impress anyone who tries it! This viral cowboy caviar dip comes together in under 15 minutes, and makes for an excellent source of nutrients without compromising taste.
Giddy-up and get your boots in the kitchen to whip up a batch of this scrumptious cowboy caviar!
Reasons You’ll Love This
Versatile – This is the perfect appetizer, side dish, topping, dip, or meal on its own! You can do so much with this recipe which is perfect for the amount of food you’re gonna have once you’ve made this.
Crowd Pleaser – If I could give you a dollar for everyone who says “Wow, this is really good!” after you serve it to them, I would, but then I would be out of dollars.
Flavorful and Fresh – This is kinda like salsa and a salad, packed full of the freshest flavors and can be eaten with tortilla chips!
Colorful – They say the more colorful your food the better, and there is every color under the rainbow in this dip!
Viral – This cowboy caviar went Viral on Tik Tok and lots of other social media channels. If you’re not on those channels, or haven’t heard, you’ve gotta try it out for yourself and see why!
“Yee-haw!” is what you’ll be saying after lassoing a big scoop of cowboy caviar into your mouth. But seriously, how many more cowboy jokes do I have to make before you’re convinced to make this cowboy caviar dip ASAP?!
Let’s discuss how to make cowboy caviar, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
- Tomatoes – Roma tomatoes are the best option for this dip, and the easiest to dice without getting too messy. However, you can use whatever kind of tomatoes you have on hand.
- Avocados – These give the cowboy cavier an amazing texture. You can add them to the dip right away, or gently fold them in after to keep the color bright green for longer.
- Red Onion – Red onion has a strong flavor and makes this dip even more colorful! Use white or yellow onion instead if that’s all you have on hand.
- Black Beans – Make sure to rinse and drain this well before adding it to the dip.
- Black Eyed Peas – Make sure to also rinse and drain this well. If you don’t have these, or can’t find them, you can substitute for pinto beans or chickpeas instead.
- Bell Pepper – This recipe uses a mix of red and green bell peppers, but you can use one or all of the bell pepper colors if you prefer. It’s up to you.
- Corn – This recipe used whole kernel sweet corn, but some good substitutes would be white corn, fresh corn, super sweet corn, or even frozen, thawed corn.
- Jalapeño – If you like spice, this is a great addition to the dip. If you’re not too fond of it you can leave it out, or make sure to really core and devein the jalapeño before dicing and adding to the dip.
- Parsley – Parsley adds great color and flavor to the dip. You can sub this for cilantro if you’d prefer.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil has a great flavor, and is usually the top choice for a dressing. You can use avocado oil instead if you’d prefer.
- Lime Juice – Lime juice specifically is highly recommended for this recipe. You can use lemon juice, but try to get lime juice if you can. If you want to use packaged lime juice, I highly recommend Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice.
- Red Wine Vinegar – For some extra tang! If you don’t have any, you can do 2 extra tablespoons of lime juice instead.
Step By Step Instructions
- To a medium sized mixing bowl add olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to stir until combined thoroughly. Set this aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the Roma tomatoes, red onion, black beans, black eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, parsley, and avocado to the bowl.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the dip ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Pour the dressing you set aside over top of the dip ingredients and toss again to evenly combine. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Tips And Advice
Storage – Store the leftover cowboy caviar in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Before reserving, make sure you toss the dip a few times with a spatula to recombine.
You can serve the dip immediately after making it, but I recommend letting it sit and marinate in the fridge for a few hours before serving so all the flavors can absorb with each other first.
You don’t have to stop at these ingredients, there is so much more you could add to this recipe to make it yours. Some other great additions are diced Persian cucumbers, diced mango, feta cheese, diced olives, chickpeas, diced cabbage, and anything you can think of. You can also add some spicy honey to the dressing, taco seasoning, or anything you see fit.
Cowboy Caviar may also be known as Texas Caviar. It’s a Tex-Mex inspired dish/salad that gained a lot of popularity in the last few years.
Pico de gallo is traditionally made with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Cowboy Caviar is an expanded version of that with lots more ingredients, and a more flavorful dressing as well.
Recipes You’ll Love
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced make sure to remove seeds
- 2 avocados, diced make sure to use ripe avocados
- 1 bell pepper, diced any color or a combo
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced make sure to remove seeds
- 1/3 cup parsley or cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 15 ounces black beans rinse well and drain
- 15 ounces black eyed peas rinse well and drain
- 15 ounces whole kernel sweet corn drained
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Combine all dip ingredients in a large bowl, and mix gently to combine.
- Pour dressing over dip ingredients and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and place in refrigerator.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.