Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole in a slow cooker saves the day when your oven is busy on Thanksgiving!
With brown sugar, cinnamon and marshmallows, these crock-pot sweet potatoes have all the fixings but can be made without taking up valuable oven space. Making this favorite side in the crock pot means I save space in my oven for other must-haves likes the turkey and Pumpkin Pie.
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
It’s happened to all of us. We get the turkey in the oven on the big day, put together all of our side dishes then realize. . . no oven space. It feels like a zillion dishes need to go into the oven or on the stove all at once to get dinner on the table in time.
Making Sweet Potatoes In A Slow Cooker
Using my slow cooker to make some of these side dishes makes Thanksgiving prep so much less stressful! These Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes taste every bit as good as prepping them the conventional way. If you like the delicious Pioneer Woman Sweet Potato Casserole, you’re going to love this version. This recipe also tastes very similar to the popular Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole recipe as well as the Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole.
Recipe Ingredients At A Glance (full printable recipe found below):
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar
- Salt, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie Spice (or Nutmeg)
For Make Ahead Sweet Potato Casserole
- Follow the first two steps as directed then store the sweet potatoes in a sealed container. When ready to serve, spoon the contents into the Slow Cooker, add 1/4 cup of milk or cream and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add the topping to sweet potatoes in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
This dish can be kept on “warm” on the Crock Pot for up to 2 hours.
Tips For Making Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows
Sweet potatoes vary greatly in size, four pounds is usually around 10 medium sized sweet potatoes. However some potatoes are much smaller, and some are much larger.
If desired, and if your slow cooker has a removable, oven safe crock, just prior to serving the crock can be placed in a 400 degree oven for approximately ten minutes, or until marshmallows have browned.
Make sure to keep an eye on it, as to not burn the marshmallows.
This step is not required, but will give a browned top to marshmallows that the slow cooker alone will not.
If you skip the last step of popping the casserole in the oven, the potatoes will still taste wonderful.
However, they will not get the browned bubbly marshmallow crust. If that’s important to you, you’ll want to leave enough time to get them in the oven for a few minutes.
No slow cooker? No problem! You can make this recipe in the oven, too.
After mashing sweet potatoes, transfer mixture to a 13×9 casserole dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
Serve these tasty sweet potatoes with turkey, Crockpot Mashed Potatoes that you can make ahead, Easy Glazed Carrots, Homemade Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Sauce, Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls and all your favorite Thanksgiving sides!
Need more tips and tricks for making Thanksgiving easier and tastier? Check out these recipes and ideas . . .
- Thanksgiving 911 – A collection of resources and tips for the big day.
- Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes
- Easy Pecan Pie
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker (optional)
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into approximately 1" cubes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed light or dark
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream half and half also works
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice ground nutmeg can also be used
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed light or dark, can be reduced down to 1/4 cup if desired
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Make sure there is enough room for water level to be higher than potatoes by at least an inch. Over high heat, bring to a rolling boil. When potatoes are easily pierced by fork, drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add brown sugar, butter, cream, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to potatoes. Mash either by hand, or using an electric mixer for a smoother texture.
- Spoon mixture into slow cooker set on low temperature.
- In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Pour in melted butter and stir to combine until a crumb like texture develops. Sprinkle over potato mixture in slow cooker. If desired hold back 1/4 cup of mixture to add to top of marshmallows. Sprinkle marshmallows over topping. Place lid on slow cooker and cook for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, switch slow cooker to warm setting to keep warm until serving.