Homemade Green Bean Casserole brings a fresh take on tradition to your Thanksgiving table. Made with fresh green beans, this casserole recipe makes a perfect side dish for your turkey dinner. This recipe is a bit different than some in that it does not use a can of soup, instead bringing cream cheese and sour cream into the mix. The results are delicious and it will quickly become a holiday favorite.
Fresh Green Bean Casserole
If your idea of a green bean casserole involves opening a can of soup and a can of green beans, you’re in for a treat. This green bean casserole recipe is just as easy and worlds tastier than the kind made with condensed soups. If it suits your taste, you can make this green bean casserole with cheese. However if you prefer, you can skip the cheese.
While I get the urge to offer a “gourmet” take on Thanksgiving side dishes, when it comes to this holiday I’m all about tradition. Give me Sweet Potato Casserole and a simple Pumpkin Pie and I’m a happy girl. Then there’s green bean casserole with all those crunchy salty fried onion pieces on top.
I love that this green bean casserole made with fresh green beans is so reminiscent of the original but with more flavor. Whether you can’t get enough green bean casserole or you usually pass it by, you’ll love this tasty version of the classic Thanksgiving side dish. I also love making this for Christmas and Easter along with my Spiral Ham Recipe.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Instead of canned beans, this recipe starts by parboiling fresh green beans. You don’t want to cook them all the way–they’ll continue cooking in the oven. No more mushy green beans in your casserole with this method!
While most green bean casseroles call for condensed canned cream of mushroom soup, I used from-scratch ingredients here. Heavy cream, sour cream and cream cheese get whisked with a butter-flour roux to create a deliciously creamy base for the casserole.
After pouring everything into a baking pan, I like to top my casserole with shredded cheese before baking. Of course, don’t forget the French fried onions. Crumbled saltine crackers also taste delicious on top of green bean casserole!
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
Ingredients at glance, full printable recipe found below.
- fresh green beans
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- crackers, cornflakes or French fried onions
- optional – cheddar cheese
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
Reminder the printable recipe is found at the bottom of the post. This is just to help walk you through it, step by step with photos, as most people prefer not to have lots of photos in their printable recipe card.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large pot boil water for green beans. Boil green beans for 3-4 minutes, just enough to parboil them. Drain beans and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Pat dry. Beans will finish cooking in oven.
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Serve your Homemade Green Bean Casserole with all your favorite Thanksgiving dishes. This year, you can bet we’ll have plenty of Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots, Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls, Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows and Crock Pot Creamed Corn. We’ll also have to have a big pan of Macaroni and Cheese at the ready, too. When it comes to dessert, everyone will love Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars, Pecan Pie and traditional Libby’s Pumpkin Pie.
Looking for a new way to make your turkey this year? Rebecca at Foodie with Family has a tutorial for how to smoke a turkey (and why).
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- 2 pounds fresh green beans rinsed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup cream heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crushed crackers, cornflakes or French fried onions Ritz or Townhouse crackers work well
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup OPTIONAL - cheddar or Monterey jack cheese shredded or grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot boil water for green beans. Boil green beans for 3-4 minutes, just enough to parboil them. Drain beans and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Pat dry. Beans will finish cooking in oven.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add and melt 2 tbsp of butter. Sprinkle flour into butter, then immediately whisk to combine well, for approximately one minute. Add sugar and salt, and mix to combine. Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese. Mix until well combined and smooth. Turn off heat and add in sour cream, stirring until smooth. Stir in cream until well combined.
- Combine green beans and cream mixture, gently mixing together to coat well.
- Transfer green beans to a 13x9 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. If desired, sprinkle cheese over top of casserole. In a separate bowl combine remaining melted butter with cracker crumbs or fried onions. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and cheese is starting to brown.