This rich and delicious lemon bundt cake, topped with lemon cream cheese frosting, is a perfect way to brighten a cold, gray winter day!
We’ve had a serious of gray days here in Phoenix. Yes, Phoenix. I know, that’s almost laughable, and will likely pass in a whole 12 hours and then be 70 degrees, but if nothing else they’ve made me crave lemon. So a lemon bundt cake to the rescue!
This lemon bundt cake is easy to make, thanks to some help from a cake mix. Sometimes you go all out from scratch, and sometimes a doctored cake mix is just the ticket. It’s all about balance, right? And cake. Balance and cake.
Now let’s make some cake! The ingredients for this cake are simple and straight forward. You’ll need a lemon cake mix, a box of lemon pudding mix (just the dry mix, don’t make it into pudding!), eggs, oil, sour cream, water and lemons! I also add some pure lemon extract to really kick up the lemon flavor. You can skip this, but I recommend it!
Once your cake is done, you can make your frosting. While I usually like to use some sort of a ganache or glaze on my bundt cakes, this lemon cream cheese frosting is the perfect compliment to this cake. I’m not kidding when I say I could eat it with a spoon, it’s divine! It’s made of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon extract, vanilla extract, milk and an optional pinch of salt. The ingredients are combined in your mixer than spread over your cake.
This is SO good! Due to the cream cheese frosting, I store this in the refrigerator.
A total piece of cake. 😉
Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe
Lemon Bundt Cake
- 1 standard size package lemon cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream regular/full fat works best
- 1 3.4 oz size package instant lemon pudding mix just the dry mix!
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 ounces package cream cheese softened, 8
- 1/4 cup butter softened, 1/2 stick
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-3 tbsp milk
- 1-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 12-cup bundt pan or 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray. Dust with flour.
2. BEAT cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, water, lemon zest and lemon extract in large bowl with electric mixer on low until well combined. Spoon into prepared bundt pan.
3. BAKE 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
1. Beat cream cheese, softened butter and lemon extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Mix until well combined. Add in your confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
2. Add in 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and mix until very well combined. If you desire a thinner frosting, add 1-2 additional tablespoons of lemon juice, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once desired consistency is reached, fold in the zest of one lemon.
3. Once cake has cooled completely, apply frosting to cake. As this is a bundt cake, it does not have to be perfectly frosted. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.
Store in refrigerator.
Want MORE lemon? Yeah, I hear you. And I’ve got you covered.