This easy and refreshing lemon cookie recipe combines a buttery lemon cookie, a satiny lemony glaze and crushed Lemon Heads. If you could take a bite of sunshine, I’m fairly sure this is what it would taste like.
Living in Arizona, there are lemons everywhere right now. While my lemon tree is still a baby and not producing fruit yet, I see trees full of lemons everywhere I go.
Sometimes you even get lucky and see a sign and box that reads, “FREE LEMONS”. At some point a girl has to give in and make a lemon cookie recipe.
These delicious lemon cookies have an almost soft, shortbread like texture, with a zesty lemon flavor. This recipe is based off my Margarita Cookie Recipe which is always a hit, and perfect for Cinco De Mayo coming up this week.
My fun twist on this recipe is that instead of a sprinkle of sanding sugar, I topped these cookies with one of my favorite candies, Brach’s Lemon Drops.
I am a sucker for sweet and sour candies, and I wanted to combine that flavor with these cookies. I simply crushed up some Lemon Drops and sprinkles them on top of the lemon glaze. It gives that tart, tangy and slightly sweet flavor, along with some crunch.
The dough for this lemon cookie recipe comes together like a typical dough, but then you roll up the dough into a log, and place in your refrigerator for at least an hour. Then you have lemon slice and bake cookies!
LEMON COOKIE RECIPE
Lemon Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sanding sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup crushed Brach's Lemon Drops
- Mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, lemon peel, extract and food coloring if using; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 9 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven 350°F. Mix sanding sugar and kosher salt. Roll each cold dough log in mixture to coat evenly. Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Drizzle Glaze over cooled cookies. Sprinkle with crushed Brach's Lemon Drops. Let stand until glaze is set.
- Mix 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and milk in small bowl until smooth.
Check out all of the cookie recipes on this site!
If you love lemon as much as I do, check out these other great lemon recipes!
Whip up a little AZ sunshine in your kitchen with this easy lemon cookie recipe!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Brach’s. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.