Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast or grab and go snack. This easy chocolate chip muffin recipe is a family favorite, and one I make almost weekly. As an added bonus, these muffins freeze well. At almost all times, these muffins can be found in my freezer!
Muffins are a staple in my house. Both of my daughters love muffins, so they are a top choice for a quick and easy breakfast. I almost always make muffins in double batches, then stock my freezer with them.
In addition to freezing well, I’ve always found muffin recipes to be very forgiving and easy to make.
Best Muffin Recipes
Given my love of muffins, I’ve shared many muffin recipes here on Love From The Oven over the years. Here are my favorites, what I think are my absolute best muffin recipes:
It’s pretty clear, I love making muffins, and these easy chocolate chip muffins are no exception.
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
This recipe is based off of a Cooks Illustrated basic muffin recipe found in their magazine many years ago.
For as long as I can remember my father-in-law has given me the Cooks Illustrated Annual for Christmas each year. Every edition of the Annual packs a year worth of magazines into a hardbound book.
These Annual books are a fantastic resource. They are where I came across the stellar basic muffin recipe that I branched off of to create these chocolate chip muffins. It’s been my homemade chocolate chip muffin recipe ever since.
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Chip Muffins
The ingredients you need to make chocolate chip muffins are common and simple. It’s likely you have most of these ingredients on hand.
• All-Purpose Flour
• Baking Powder
• Baking Soda
• Plain Yogurt (not Greek)
• Chocolate Chips
How To Make Chocolate Chip Muffins
The best testament I can give as to how easy this muffin recipe is to make, is to tell you that I usually make it at 5am, in a half asleep state. This recipe is quick and easy, you can have them whipped up and ready to eat in no time.
Here are the simple steps to make this recipe:
1. Pre-heat oven, the mix all dry ingredients together in a bow.
2. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in half the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Next add in half of the yogurt and mix until combined. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. Scoop into a muffin pan and bake for approximately 22-27 minutes.
How Do You Freeze Muffins?
Truth be told, I do not do anything special to freeze my muffins. To freeze I simply let them come to room temperature, then place in a Ziplock freezer bag. Once they are bagged up, I place them into the freezer.
In the past, I would wrap each muffin individually with plastic wrap before putting them into the bag. Honestly I don’t notice any difference between the two techniques, so I go with the quicker and easier option.
How Do You Reheat Muffins?
To reheat or thaw your muffins you can either sit them out ahead of time or pop them into the microwave. At room temperature it takes about 2-3 hours for the muffins to thaw, depending on the temperature of your home.
In the microwave I usually heat them for 30 seconds at 50% power, and go from there. My girls prefer their muffins thawed, versus hot. From frozen, I do think the lower power and slow bursts is the best way to get the result you want.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- Paper muffin liners (optional)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt NOT Greek yogurt, which is thicker
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips mini chocolate chips work nicely
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan with paper muffin liners, or grease cups of muffin pan if not using paper liners. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Mix together and set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until well combined.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir to combine. Do not beat with electric mixer. Add 1/2 of yogurt and mix again until just combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingedients and yogurt, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips gently until just combined.
- Using a large ice scream scoop, scoop batter into muffin cups, dividing evenly among all 12 cups. Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are lightly golden brown and the tops spring back when gently touched. Let muffins cool in pan, on a wire rack, for approximately five minutes. Then remove from muffin pan and place on wire rack to cool. Muffins are great served warm, room temp or even cold.