Cozy up with a bowl of Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup! Shredded chicken and egg noodles are simmered in a savory broth, just like mom used to make it. Making this classic comfort food from scratch has never been easier. Thanks to the Instant Pot, you can have cooked all day flavor on the table in under an hour.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Instant Pot Soup – Skip the stove top and put your pressure cooker to use instead.
- Easiest chicken soup ever – This recipe uses chicken breasts and bouillon for delicious soup, without the extra work of cooking an entire chicken.
- Downright cozy – This soup has all the familiar savory, herby flavors of a traditional chicken noodle soup. It’s all you need to make any day better.
- Hearty egg noodles – These thick noodles hold up perfectly to the brothy soup, so they get tender, not mushy.
- Kid friendly dinner idea – You can feel good letting your kids enjoy second helpings of this wholesome protein rich soup.
Nothing says “comfort” quite like the delicious simplicity of a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. When you were a kid, it was the ultimate cure-all for a case of the sniffles or a bad day at school.
Now, it’s the soup you serve to warm up on a cold winter day, fill a hungry belly or just to enjoy together around the dinner table. Any reason is a good reason to enjoy a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup.
This is an overview of the ingredients you will need to make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. Important notes and substitutions for certain ingredients are discussed. The full printable recipe, with amounts and specific details, can be found at the bottom of the page.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
The ingredients used in this recipe are quite common and ones you likely have in your pantry. Here are a few notes and substitution suggestions.
- Chicken Breasts – While I used fresh chicken breasts, you can use frozen. Increase the cooking time to 15 minutes. If you want to double check that your chicken is fully cooked, the internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165 degrees F.
- Chicken Broth – I prefer to use a low sodium chicken broth, as it allows me to have more control over how salty the final product turns out. You could also use chicken stock or vegetable broth if you like. If you prefer, you could create your own chicken broth using water and chicken bouillon granules or cubes. Use 1 teaspoon of granules or 1 cube per cup of water. I don’t recommend just using water, as your soup will lack the flavor it provides.
- Garlic – If you don’t have any fresh garlic, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Parsley – No fresh parsley on hand? You can use 2 Tablespoons of dried parsley.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup In An Instant Pot
1. Place chicken, broth, water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, fresh parsley, butter, chicken bouillon powder, thyme, salt, and pepper into the pot. You are adding everything but the noodles. Stir to combine.
2. Set the instant pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes. When cooking time is over you may use the quick release or natural release.
3. Remove chicken from the pot. Place it on a clean cutting board and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
4. While the chicken is resting, add the egg noodles to the instant pot.
5. Press the saute function and boil until the noodles are just turning soft. It will likely take no more than 5 minutes.
6. While the noodles are boiling, shred the chicken.
7. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot. Remove the bay leaf before serving
Tips and Advice
Storage: The soup may be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to store it in smaller airtight containers that are easy to reheat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, feel free to use a whole chicken, or whatever works for you. You will want to cook the whole chicken for approximately 6 minutes per pound. If you want to double check that your chicken is fully cooked, the internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165 degrees.
Yes, the egg noodles cook right in the broth, which is both easy and gives them great flavor.
More Recipes To Try
Looking for more delicious comfort food recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Chicken and Dumplings With Tortillas
- Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Pot Pie Soup
- Beef Stew Crockpot Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces egg noodles approximately 2 cups
- Place chicken, broth, water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, fresh parsley, butter, chicken bouillon powder, thyme, salt, and pepper into the pot. The only thing not added are the egg noodles. Stir to combine.
- Set the instant pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes. When cooking time is over you may use the quick release or natural release.
- Remove chicken from the pot. Place it on a clean cutting board and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, add the egg noodles to the instant pot and hit the saute function. While the noodles are boiling, shred the chicken.
- Boil until the noodles are just turning soft. It will likely take no more than 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot. Remove the bay leaf before serving