This luscious lemon cake pairs an easy to make lemon bundt cake with a decadent lemon cream cheese frosting.
I have been on quite the citrus baking kick lately. Something about spring (or summer, we are hitting triple digits here in Phoenix!) just calls for the refreshing flavors of citrus. Lemon is an absolute favorite for me and this Luscious Lemon Cake is both easy and delicious.
Not only is the cake lemon, but the frosting. Oh, this frosting, this lemon cream cheese frosting. It is divine. It is easily one of my all time favorite frosting recipes.
This cake is fantastic for spring and summer, and is a great choice to bring to summer parties. I love the simplicity of a bundt cake, all the delicious flavor of a frosted cake, but with so much ease. I simply scoop on my frosting, then finish with a little lemon zest. Fresh and flavorful.
Luscious Lemon Cake
- 1 pkg. 2-layer size lemon cake mix
- 1 pkg. 3.4 oz. JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 package 8 ounces PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-5 TBSP milk
- Optional - zest of two lemons
- Optional - yellow food coloring
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- BEAT cake ingredients in large bowl with mixer until blended; pour into greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- BAKE 50 min. to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 30 min. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.
- Beat cream cheese, softened butter and lemon extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add in your yellow food coloring if using (3-4 drops is perfect for a light yellow shade). Mix until well combined.
- Add in your confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in three tablespoons milk, and mix until very well combined. If you desire a thinner frosting, add additional two tablespoons of milk, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once desired consistency is reached, fold in the zest of one lemon.
- Once cake has cooled completely, apply frosting to cake. As this is a bundt cake, it does not have to be perfectly frosted. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.
- Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
I’m also sharing this recipe over on the Kraft website.
I have some other delicious recipes full of fresh citrus flavor you might enjoy. Click on any photo below to be taken to the post.
Originally published in March 2015.
Disclosure: I am compensated for the recipes I share on the Kraft website. All opinions however are mine and mine alone.