If you love peppermint bark, and you love chocolate cake, then my easy Peppermint Bark Cake is made for you! This moist chocolate bundt cake contains a peppermint cream cheese filling, and is topped with a dreamy white chocolate peppermint bark ganache glaze. Delicious enough to make for a special occasion, this cake is easy enough to make for a weeknight treat during the busy holiday season.
I adore peppermint bark. So obviously I thought pouring peppermint bark over the top of a cake would be a good idea. Heck, I think pouring peppermint bark over the top of almost anything sounds pretty delightful actually!
Peppermint Bark Cake
If you are a chocolate and peppermint lover like I am, you need to make this cake for the holidays! It’s quick and easy, and one of my favorite things about Bundt cakes is that pouring glaze over a cake is much easier than decorating with frosting.
There is something magical when melted white chocolate and peppermint are combined! The kitchen fills with the most heavenly scent and it just smells like the holidays.
To keep this cake easy, I started with a chocolate cake mix that I doctored (just ignore those directions on the box!). If you have a favorite from scratch chocolate bundt cake recipe that you like, you can TOTALLY us it, just use the peppermint cream cheese filling and the peppermint bark ganache.
This cake is nice enough for a special occasion, yet easy enough for just a Tuesday night after dinner treat. My kids talk about this cake year round, it definitely made an impression on them.
Peppermint Dessert Recipes
If you like this recipe, here are some additional recipes to try this holiday season.
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Easy Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Crunch Ice Cream Pie
- No Bake Peppermint Striped Delight
- Peppermint Brownie Bars
- Peppermint Fudge Brownie Bites
- Peppermint Oreo Bark
Peppermint Bark Bundt Cake
- 1 standard size chocolate cake mix
- 1 package 3.9oz (approximately) chocolate pudding mix just the dry mix, do not make the pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Optional: If desired add 1-2 tsps of pure peppermint extract
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp crushed candy canes
- 8 oz of chopped white chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream half and half can also work in a pinch, but it will be runnier
- 1/2 - 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all cake ingredients and mix with a mixer until combined. Do not over mix, but make sure all dry ingredients and wet ingredients are well-combined.
- Spoon approximately 1/3 of batter into a Bundt cake pan that has been sprayed generously with non-stick cooking spray, preferably a spray that includes flour*.
- Spoon cream cheese filling (directions below) onto cake batter. Spread remaining cake batter over cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Trust your senses (what you see, what you touch) more than the clock, as all ovens fluctuate somewhat, and ambient conditions can vary from home to home. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, place a large plate or platter over the opening in the bundt pan, hold the two together, then flip over to invert the pan and release the cake onto the plate. Top with powdered sugar or chocolate glaze if desired.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Combine softened cream cheese, egg, sugar and peppermint extract in a bowl and mix with a mixer until well combined and creamy. Stir in crushed candy canes. Mix to combine.
- In a large microwave safe bowl (glass works best) combine chopped chocolate and heavy cream. Microwave for 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir well. Return to microwave for another 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and whisk together until smooth (stirring will help melt chocolate). If needed, heat for an additional 15 seconds, then whisk until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow mixture to thicken a bit. Slowly spoon over cake. It will run down the sides, so working slowly allows you to control how it runs. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Originally published November 2016.