Peppermint Oreo Bark comes together in minutes with just five ingredients! This easy homemade candy recipe blends smooth chocolate and vanilla bark with crunchy Oreo pieces. A sprinkle of peppermint chips on top brings extra holiday cheer!
Need a last minute holiday treat for the Christmas party? This Peppermint Oreo Bark recipe is just the ticket. It makes a delicious homemade gift or addition to your Christmas cookie trays!
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
Quick and Easy Holiday Candy – You only need 15 minutes to make this Oreo bark. No baking or candy making skills required.
No Stove Needed – We melt the chocolate in the microwave so you can make this recipe without touching a stove top. It’s perfect for making with the kids!
Chocolate and Peppermint – Who doesn’t love this flavor pairing during the holidays?
Oreos in Every Bite – Crushed Oreo cookie pieces make the sweet chocolate peppermint bark even tastier.
Peppermint treats are one of the sweetest delights of the holiday season. From Peppermint Hot Chocolate to Peppermint Bark Cake, Peppermint Brownie Bars to Peppermint and Chocolate Striped Delight, we just can’t get enough. While I love traditional Peppermint Bark, the addition of Oreos in this version takes it to another level. It adds not just flavor, but some great crunch as well.
For the record, I love chocolate bark year round. I’ve made Valentine Bark, St. Patrick’s Day Bark, Easter Peeps Bark, Candy Corn Halloween Bark and Unicorn Bark, perfect for birthdays!
This is an overview of the ingredients you will need to make this yummy Peppermint Oreo Bark. Important notes and substitutions for certain ingredients are discussed. The full printable recipe, with amounts and specific details, can be found at the bottom of the page.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Chocolate chips – I highly recommend going with semi-sweet, or even dark chocolate chips if you like dark chocolate. Milk chocolate really just makes this recipe overly sweet.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is a fantastic ingredient to use when melting chocolate. The coconut oil can help the chocolate harden more quickly. If you ever enjoyed Magic Shell on top of your ice cream as a kid, then you have an idea of what the coconut oil helps do with the chocolate. If you don’t have any, you can skip it. If you have a coconut allergy, you can try a small amount of food grade paraffin wax.
- Oreo cookies – Feel free to get creative! Oreo puts out so many fun seasonal flavors, so by all means, use those if you are so inclined! I would avoid Double Stuff Oreos though – they add a bit too much sweetness.
- Vanilla baking chips – White chocolate chips are pretty easy to find in the grocery store. If however you can’t find them, you could use almond bark in their place.
- Peppermint chips – Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips are perfect in this recipe. That said, I know sometimes they can be hard to find. If you can’t find them, feel free to used crushed candy canes. You’ll still get the great peppermint flavor, with some added crunch.
How To Make Peppermint Oreo Bark
Let’s discuss the ingredients you’ll need, and the steps you’ll take, to make this delicious Peppermint Bark Recipe. If you want to skip my discussion, tips, information and answers to frequently asked questions, just scroll to the bottom of this post for the printable recipe.
1. In a large bowl, microwave the semisweet chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil until melted and smooth.
2. Crush 10 of the Oreo cookies and mix them into the melted chocolate. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and use an offset spatula to spread it out evenly.
3. Allow the mixture to set until the middle no longer moves when you gently shake the pan but isn’t completely set.
4. Microwave the vanilla baking chips and remaining 2 teaspoons coconut oil until melted and smooth.
5. Crush 10 more Oreo cookies and mix them into the melted white chocolate.
6. Pour the melted vanilla mixture over the chocolate layer.
Crush the remaining 5 Oreos and sprinkle the crushed cookies and peppermint chips evenly over the white chocolate layer. Allow to set completely at room temperature. Break or cut into pieces.
Tips And Advice
Make sure your chocolate layer isn’t completely set when you add the white chocolate on top. If the bottom layer is completely set the chocolate layers won’t stick together as well and will separate. The chocolate should be almost set, but not completely hard. It should still be slightly melted and sticky when you pour the white chocolate on.
I find it beneficial to press the Oreo pieces and peppermint chips gently into the top of the chocolate layer before it sets. This helps the pieces stick better.
Store this Peppermint Oreo Bark in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Use parchment or wax paper between layers to prevent them from sticking together.
I do not recommend cooling the chocolate in the fridge. Depending on the temperature of your room it may take several hours for the chocolate to fully set. It Is preferred to let it set at room temperature because cooling it in the fridge can cause the layers to separate.
Yes, this should be fine in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool it completely at room temperature. Tightly wrap the bark in plastic wrap and store in a freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator to prevent condensation from forming on the chocolate.
My friend Jessy, over at The Life Jolie, has a great post all about melting chocolate in the microwave. I recommend checking it out.
More Recipes To Try
If you are looking for more recipes for the holiday season, here are some of my favorites!
And if you can’t get enough Oreos, here are more recipes filled with yummy Oreos!
I love to hear from readers like you! If you’ve tried this, please leave a comment and review below. If you have photos, tag me @lovefromtheoven #lftorecipes on Instagram and Pinterest. Thanks!
Peppermint Oreo Bark
- 24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 25 Oreo Cookies, divided
- 24 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peppermint chips
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, microwave the semisweet chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil for 30 seconds, then remove from microwave and stir vigorously to help melt chocolate chips. If not fully melted, repeat for an additional 30 seconds, remove and stir. If needed continue repeating process until fully melted.
- Crush 10 of the Oreo cookies and mix them into the melted chocolate. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and use an offset spatula to spread it out evenly. Allow the mixture to set until the middle no longer moves when you gently shake the pan but isn’t completely set.
- Microwave the vanilla baking chips and remaining 2 teaspoons coconut oilin the same way the semi-sweet chocolate chips were melted.
- Crush 10 more Oreo cookies and mix them into the melted white chocolate.
- Pour the melted vanilla mixture over the chocolate layer. Crush the remaining 5 Oreos and sprinkle the crushed cookies and peppermint chips evenly over the white chocolate layer.
- Allow to set completely at room temperature. Break or cut into pieces.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Leave a Reply