We LOVE pancakes around here, and chocolate pancakes are at the top of my family’s request list. This delicious recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Pancakes is perfect for the holiday season. The amount of peppermint flavor can be mild or strong, that’s totally up to you. I don’t know about you but I think waking up to chocolate pancakes is about as good as it gets!
My girls are both big pancake eaters. At almost any time you can find pancakes in my freezer, ready and waiting to become a fast weekday breakfast for my girls. While I make all kinds of pancakes, the chocolate pancakes are king to my kids. I make chocolate pancakes often, so I thought I would shake it up for the holidays and bring some peppermint to the pancake party.
You can go a few ways when it comes to the peppermint on these. You can go full out and use peppermint extract IN your pancake batter, or you can bring the peppermint by sprinkling crushed candy canes on top when serving your pancakes. That’s totally your call (though I’m pretty sure that if Elves are involved, LOTS of candy canes would be required). I’m a “touch of peppermint” person, so I prefer to have the crushed candy canes sprinkles on top.
I love to use the Brach’s Peppermint Crushed Candy Canes. So much easier than crushing them myself in the garage with a rolling pin.
While the recipe for these calls for all-purpose flour, I actually like to make them with whole wheat pastry flour. I find very little difference in flavor or texture, and you get a great serving of whole grains to start the day with. If you want to make your Peppermint Chocolate Pancakes with whole wheat pastry flour, just swap it for the all-purpose flour, no other modifications are needed. I almost always double this recipe when I make it and freeze the leftover pancakes – they are perfect for busy morning breakfasts.
Peppermint Chocolate Pancakes
Peppermint Chocolate Pancakes
These chocolate pancakes take it over the top with the addition of crushed candy canes for the holidays.
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp peppermint extract or vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups buttermilk if needed you can replace with milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips optional
- 1/4 cup Brach's Peppermint Crushed Candy Canes
- In a medium bowl mix together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined. The batter is thick and lumpy. If desired, add in mini chocolate chips.
- Heat griddle over medium heat and grease lightly with butter or oil.
- Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the griddle. Mixture may be thick, and if so use spoon to help spread the batter out a bit in the pan. Cook until pancakes have bubbles on the top, then flip and cook an additional 30-60 seconds. Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.
- Serve topped with powdered sugar, chocolate sauce, butter, or crushed candy canes. Enjoy!
* A triggered ice cream scoop is perfect for scooping your batter.
*Whole wheat pastry flour can be substituted for the all-purpose flour.
I hope your family enjoys this delicious Peppermint Chocolate Pancake recipe as much as my family does. If you want to try more pancake recipes, here are a few I recommend…