Such a yummy recipe to share today. Simple to make? Check. Delicious? Check. Fabulous for the holiday season? Check. Hey, that works for me.
Peppermint Stick Cake Bars. These are made the way that magic cookie bars are – a bottom layer, yummy toppings and sweetened condensed milk. I’ve found that to be quite the winning combo. To take it to a whole other level, it is then drizzled with Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Peppermint Stick Frosting. I ADORE peppermint frosting. Especially with chocolate. 🙂
UPDATE 2021 – The Duncan Hines Frosting Creations is no longer available. Simply replace with vanilla frosting and add 1-2 drops of peppermint extract, then stir well to combine.
Here is what you need…
See, simple! You start by mixing up your base, which is simply cake mix, butter and an egg, which is pressed into a lined and greased pan.
You then sprinkle half of your chocolate chips and peppermint chips on. Followed by the goodness that is sweetened condensed milk.
Then toss on the rest of your chocolate chips and peppermint chips and into the oven it goes. E-A-S-Y. Bake, remove from oven. Let cool a bit. Mix up some Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting with Peppermint Stick. Transfer it to a microwave safe bowl and warm up for about 10-15 seconds. Drizzle over the chocolate peppermint sweetness. Sprinkle on some crushed up candy canes. Call it good.
I love bars for holiday baking as they are so quick to make. You can whip up a recipe in a few minutes, stick it in the oven and get on to the next recipe on your list. The are perfect for packaging up as holiday treats or just enjoying yourself – maybe with a nice cup of peppermint hot cocoa.
Peppermint Stick Cake Bars
- 1 box Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake I used Devil's Food
- 1 egg
- 1 stick of butter - softened
- 1 14 oz can/container sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup peppermint chips
- 1 container Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting vanilla frosting with a drop or two of peppermint extract will also work
- 1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Peppermint Stick Flavor Packet
- Optional crushed candy canes approx 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9" pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine your cake mix, butter and egg in a large bowl. Mix well until dough forms - you may need to use your hands to really work dough together, it will be very thick. Press into the bottom of your lined pan.
- Sprinkle half of the chocolate chips and peppermint chips onto your cake batter dough.
- Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over the dough and chips.
- Sprinkle remaining chips on top.
- Bake for approx 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix Frosting Creations base with Frosting Creations Peppermint Stick Flavor Packet. Drizzle over bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes if desired.
- Cut and serve.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Love the combo of chocolate and peppermint? Make sure to check out these yummy recipes as well…