These adorable Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats are such a fun and tasty way to celebrate the start of the holiday season. This recipe takes a fall twist on the classic Rice Krispie treats and turns them into something fun to make and eat for the whole family!
Seriously, how cute are these little pumpkin spice Rice Krispie Treats? If you’re not the biggest fan of baking pumpkin pie, but love the look of the classic Thanksgiving dessert, then look no further than making these mock pumpkin pies out of Rice Krispie Treats!
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
Impress Your Friends – When you bring these to the fall, Halloween or Thanksgiving parties, be prepared to hear people say “Aww that’s so cute!” or “Wow, what a clever idea!”
Kid Friendly – This recipe is an easy way to get your whole family in the kitchen, and they are kid approved!
All Things Pumpkin – If you love pumpkin flavored things as much as the next, these pumpkin cereal treats are to die for.
Easy Peasy – Perfect for a last minute dessert to bring to a holiday get together, these easy treats are made in under 30 minutes!
Simple Ingredients – For some impressive pumpkin treats, this easy recipe uses really simple ingredients you can find at almost all grocery stores.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
This is an overview of the ingredients you will need to make these fun Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats. Important notes and substitutions for certain ingredients are discussed. The full printable recipe, with amounts and specific details, can be found at the bottom of the page.
Salted Butter – Salted butter does a great job bringing out those fall flavors. If you only have unsalted butter, try adding a pinch of salt to the butter when melting it down.
Mini Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows melt down better than any other size, and are the easiest to measure, but you can use the same amount of any size you like.
Maple Syrup – This will add some extra flavor to make these taste more like ‘pumpkin pie’.
Rice Krispies – I recommend Rice Krispies, but you can use any brand of rice cereal.
Pumpkin Puree – You want pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix – which has a number of additional ingredients added to it. Make sure when adding the pumpkin puree to this recipe, to add no more than what the recipe recommends, otherwise these pumpkin treats will become too soggy. Also, if your pumpkin seems watery, which some seasons does happen, you can strain off the liquid so that you are only getting the puree.
Pumpkin Pie Spice – You can buy your pumpkin pie spice from the store, or make your own with my pumpkin pie spice recipe.
Orange Food Coloring – This is what will make the pumpkin pie look extra ‘pumpkin-y’. That said, if you’re not a fan of food dye, you can leave it out. The ‘pie-filling’ just won’t have a deeper orange color like the photos.
Whipped Cream or Cinnamon Whipped Cream – Top the final product with a spritz of whipped cream or this incredible cinnamon whipped cream recipe to make it look and taste just like pumpkin pie!
How To Make Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
Let’s discuss how to make this recipe, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
Rice Krispie “Pie Crust”
1. Grab a medium saucepan and start melting the butter over a low heat. Next whisk in maple syrup and combine. Add the mini marshmallows to the butter mixture, and make sure to stir constantly until melted.
2. Add the Rice Krispies to the melted marshmallow mixture and fold it together gently until combined.
3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour the rice krispies into the pie dish. Press the cereal treat mixture against the side of the dish forming a circle or a “crust.” Allow this to cool while you start on the filling.
Rice Krispie Pumpkin Pie Filling
4. For the pie filling, grab a larger pan and start by melting butter. Once it’s melted, whisk in the pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree and cinnamon until combined.
5. To the pumpkin mixture, add the mini marshmallows and combine. Next, add the orange food coloring until you reach a color that you like. Then, gently fold in the rice krispies until fully combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the center of the pie dish and press the filling into the crust and mold the two together. Allow the Rice Krispie pie to cool completely before slicing it up and adding the cinnamon whipped cream. If you’d like, you can let it cool in the fridge for 10 minutes to cool more quickly.
Recipe Tips and Advice
Storage – Across the board, Rice Krispies Treats are always best when they are served fresh. However if you have leftover Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days, or in the freezer for 6 weeks. To defrost, just leave the treats out overnight before serving.
Watch Those Measurements – If you have too much butter, or too much pumpkin puree, it can cause problems in getting the treats to stick together. Make sure you double check your measurements, and drain off any excess fluid in your canned pumpkin.
Less Pumpkin, More Pie?
If you’re not a big fan of pumpkin flavor, but still like the pumpkin pie look of the treats, here’s a tip! Keep the orange food coloring, but omit the pumpkin spice, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon from the filling. Add a tablespoon of vanilla extract instead, and you’ll have the pumpkin pie look, with the traditional rice krispie treat taste!
And don’t miss these fun pumpkin dessert recipes!
- Pumpkin Dip
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Mini Pumpkin Bundt Cakes
- Rice Krispie Pumpkin Treats
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- Pie Pan
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree if watery, drain off any water prior to measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Orange Food Coloring use enough to reach your desired shade
- Make the rice krispie pie crust portion of this recipe first by melting the butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Then whisk in the maple syrup until combined. Add the mini marshmallows and stir constantly until melted.
- Pour in the Rice Krispie Cereal and carefully fold in until completely coated.
- Spoon this mixture into the outside rim of a pie dish (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and form a “crust” by pressing the rice krispie mixture into it. Set this aside to cool down a bit while you make the filling.
- To make the pie filling, melt the butter over low heat. Once melted, whisk in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Once combined, add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted. Then add the orange food coloring until you reach the desired color.
- Gently fold in the Rice Krispies Cereal. Evenly pour the filling mixture into the center of the pie dish and press firmly into the crust to meld the two rice krispie layers together.
- Let the rice krispie pie fully cool before slicing and serving. You can even pop it into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.