Red Cabbage Slaw is a crunchy, flavorsome side dish that will pair beautifully with all your main dish meals this summer! Red cabbage and carrots are thinly sliced and doused in a tangy, and slightly sweet vinaigrette in under 30 minutes. Your backyard BBQ won’t be complete without this red cabbage slaw recipe on the menu.
Reasons You’ll Love This
Crisp and Fresh – There is something so satisfying about biting into a spoonful of crunchy, freshly made slaw!
Homemade – It’s super easy to make homemade slaw instead of buying it at a grocery store.
Pairs Well with Everything – This famous side dish pairs wonderfully with a lot of dishes, and also makes a great additive in tacos, burritos, sandwiches and burgers. It would also be great to add extra texture to salads and nachos!
Easy to Make – This will take you under 30 minutes to make with minimal effort on your part!
Color & Flavor – Not only is this cabbage slaw bursting with flavor, it also has such a bright and fun color that will bring life to your plate!
Even if you are not a big coleslaw fan, This recipe might just win you over! If you are a coleslaw lover, then you’re going to love this classic red cabbage version that will have your tastebuds dancing with joy!
Let’s discuss how to make this Red Cabbage Slaw, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
- Red Cabbage – Red cabbage has the best crunch out of the whole cabbage family. You’ll want to shred this really well before adding it to the recipe. You also don’t have to use red cabbage, you can also use Napa cabbage, it just won’t be as crunchy.
- Carrots – You’ll also want some carrots nicely shredded before adding it to the recipe. You can shred carrots by hand, or buy a bag of shredded carrots from the grocery store.
- Cilantro – This adds a little extra splash of flavor to this dish. If you’re looking for a different herby flavor, you can use basil or parsley instead.
- Shallot – The shallot really adds a punch of flavor and aroma to this slaw. You can use red or white onion instead if you’d like.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is usually the ideal oil choice when making a dressing. You can substitute for grape seed oil or avocado oil if you want a different flavor.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Red wine vinegar will really give you that tangy kick of flavor you’re looking for in a slaw. You can substitute for white wine vinegar, but the taste will differ a bit. If you don’t have any kind of vinegar on hand, you can try making it with some lemon or lime juice.
- Honey – Honey & vinegar is like a flavor match made in heaven. This will bring out the perfect amount of sweetness in this recipe. You can substitute the honey for some maple syrup instead.
Step By Step Instructions
- Begin by shredding the red cabbage and carrots. Once shredded, add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the chopped cilantro and diced shallot to the bowl.
- In a separate, smaller mixing bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to mix everything together until combined. You can also pour the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake.
- Pour the dressing all over the veggies, and use some tongs to toss the slaw and incorporate the dressing completely.
- Cover the mixing bowl, and place it in the fridge for at least an hour so all the flavors can absorb into the veggies. Take it out of the fridge when you’re ready to serve and enjoy!
Tips And Advice
Storage – The leftovers will store nicely in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 days. Before serving again, make sure to toss the slaw together to re-incorporate all the ingredients.
For some extra fun in your slaw, add some extra fun fruits, veggies, and herbs. Some good additions to this recipe would be mandarin oranges, sliced green onions, sliced red onion, celery, bell peppers, etc.
You can also add some mayonnaise or Greek yogurt for a creamy coleslaw.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following materials to recreate this recipe:
You can just chop it thinly with a chef’s knife, or you can use a mandoline to shred it. I really love this food chopper with a mandoline attachment, because it can shred, chop, slice, and pretty much cut any vegetable in any way.
Yes! It’s always smart to wash ALL of your fruits and veggies before using them in a recipe.
Serves Well With
Cabbage slaw is very versatile and can be served with many different kinds of foods like:
- Marry Me Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Beef Chili
- Cranberry Chicken
- Pork Tenderloin
- Mac and Cheese
Serve slaw as a side dish alongside some other side dishes such as:
More Similar Recipes You’ll Love!
Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 head red cabbage shredded
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the shredded cabbage grated carrots into a large bowl.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and diced shallot.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the dressing ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
- Chill for one hour prior to serving.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Leave a Reply