This Strawberry Dump Cake Recipe is the perfect dessert for when you’re craving something warm, gooey and sweet! Made with just a handful of ingredients, this easy cake contains a gorgeous strawberry filling and is covered in a crispy, cake mix crust. When topped with ice cream or whipped cream, this makes the most delightful, dreamy dessert that is bound to put smiles on everyone’s face.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
Strawberry Desserts – If you love all things strawberry when it comes to the dessert menu, you’ve got to try this.
Dump Cake – Dump Cake veterans know, these are the easiest, and most rewarding cakes to make if you can get it right.
Simple Ingredients – Minus the many toppings you could add to this, this recipe only needs three, simple ingredients.
Easy to Make – In 4 easy steps, this cake will be on the dessert table in no time!
Crowd Pleasing – This is like a strawberry cobbler, only the topping is made out of cake mix and butter. Who wouldn’t love that?
Calling all dump cake fanatics! If you love dump cakes, you’ve gotta make this strawberry version. It’s spoon-licking good, and goes with lots of different toppings! Perfect to make in a pinch for when your sweet tooth kicks in!
Let’s discuss how to make strawberry dump cake, as well as the ingredients that are needed. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen. If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page.
- Strawberry Pie Filling – Canned strawberry pie filling is the best for this recipe. If you have a homemade strawberry filling recipe, you can use that too.
- Cake Mix – Vanilla cake mix is ideal for this recipe. You can substitute for white cake mix, yellow cake mix, or even french vanilla cake mix. Remember, this is a dump cake, which means you just dump everything and bake. Do not follow the instructions on the cake mix box.
- Butter – Melted butter is ideal for this recipe, because it forms a better crust. Usually, the more butter the better. Most recipes call for 3/4th cup, but oftentimes the cake comes out dry. Using 1 cup of melted butter will ensure the cake comes out perfectly cooked.
- Toppings – All of these are optional, because the cake comes out so delicious regardless. But you can add ice cream, whipped cream, fresh strawberries or other fruit like blueberries or bananas. Chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or even strawberry sauce would also make a wonderful topping. You can even add a sprig of fresh mint if you’re feeling fancy.
Step by Step Instructions
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F and then grab a 9×13 baking dish. Lightly spray the baking dish with nonstick spray. Open the can of strawberry filling and empty it into the baking dish. Use a spatula to spread the filling evenly along the bottom of the dish.
- Next, grab your cake mix. Open it up, and pour the entire package on top of the strawberry filling, making sure to coat the entire thing evenly. You can use a measuring cup or spoon to ensure an even coat of cake mix.
- Lastly, melt the butter. Pour the butter on top of the cake mix as evenly as you can. Don’t worry if all the cake mix isn’t covered, the liquid from the strawberries will allow it to absorb.
- Let it bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the top of the cake is a perfect golden brown color & the filling starts bubbling. Take it out of the oven to let it cool for 10 minutes in the dish. Serve it warm, straight out of the dish, top with a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream and enjoy!
Tips and Advice
Storage – Store the strawberry dump cake at room temperature for the first day, then refrigerate the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Don’t cover the dump cake until it has cooled completely, otherwise it will turn soggy and inedible.
Make Ahead – You can absolutely make this cake ahead of time and serve it it the following days. It will still taste just as good!
Gluten Free – You can make this dessert gluten free by using a gluten free strawberry pie filling, and a gluten free vanilla cake mix.
Dump Cake Pro Tips
Dump cakes, if done right, can turn out amazing. Here are some expert tips to ensure your cake doesn’t come out of the oven with raw cake mix chunks:
Once you pour the cake mix on top of the strawberries, make sure to shake the pan so some of the mix can fall through the cracks of the filling, and helps keep the cake mix more evenly distributed.
Using melted butter is better than using the pads of butter because it spreads evenly across the top of the dump cake, and creates a richer, buttery, topping.
For this recipe you’ll need a 9×13 baking dish, and some measuring cups or spoons. You’ll also need some cooking spray and a serving spoon.
Yes! The thick glaze from the pie filling, should make the dump cake nice and gooey. If the filling is runny, and liquid-y, that may have to do with the type of filling you used.
Follow the directions exactly how they’re listed! Using a smaller pan will mess up your dump cake, as well as not baking it at the correct temperature, etc. You also don’t want to mix the dump cake! Just dump everything in, and don’t mess with it.
Recipes You’ll Love
Once you try one dump cake you have to try them all! Check out a few more of these fun, delicious recipes that are just like this one.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Strawberry Dump Cake
- 42 ounces strawberry pie filling 2 (21 oz) cans is ideal
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Spread the strawberry pie filling evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Carefully distribute the cake mix over the strawberries in an even layer.
- Pour melted butter over the cake mix, doing your best to evenly cover the cake mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Linda Marshall says
This strawberry dump cake was delicious I really loved it and my family as well I’m looking forward to trying more of your recipes and thank you very much
Christi Johnstone says
So glad you liked it, Linda!