If you love chocolate covered cherries, you have to try Chocolate Cherry Cookies. This is the perfect Valentine treat to bake up for your loved ones. Thanks to a helping hand from a Devil’s Food Cake Mix, these cookies are quick, easy and great to make with the kids. Grab a jar of maraschino cherries and get ready to bake up these scrumptious chewy cherry cookies.
Reasons to Make Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Chocolate covered cherries? Yes, please.
- Cherry cookies are easy to bake up, even on a weekday.
- Box them up to make a thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift for teachers, neighbors or grandparents.
- They are a fun change from the typical chocolate chip cookie.
Making Chocolate Cherry Cookies
I love how this cookie batter comes together so quickly and easily. All you’re going to need is the Devil’s Food Cake Mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and a 12 ounce jar of maraschino cherries.
Drain the cherries, reserving the liquid for the glaze, and give them a rough chop. Simply mix together the Devils Food Cake mix with the eggs and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. The batter will be thick. Next, fold the cherries into the chocolate. Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes, that will make it much easier to work with.
I like to use a small cookie scoop to make uniformly sized cookies. If you don’t have one, roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the parchment lined cookie sheet. To make the cherry glaze, mix 2 tablespoonfuls of cherry juice with the confectioners sugar and drizzle over the cooled chocolate cookies.
These are simply divine.
Gifting Maraschino Cherry Cookies
I think these cookies would make lovely gifts for the relatives, neighbors or teachers in your life that might be due a mid-winter pick me up. And I love that kids can easily help make this chocolate cherry recipe. They look so fancy with the bright red cherries and pink glaze. But they are so simple and hassle free to make.
More Valentine Dessert Recipes
Chocolate and cherries are one my favorites on Valentine’s Day. Try some more sweet tooth friendly recipes that are easy to make!
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Cherry and Dark Chocolate Galette
- Valentine Bark
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookie Bars
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
For the Cookies
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 jar maraschino cherries drained, reserve liquid, and rougly chopped
For the Drizzle
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp cherry juice
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined, the batter will be thick.
- Fold in the chopped cherries. Chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Drop cookies onto cookie sheet using a small cookie scoop. 12 cookies about 2 inches apart should fit on a standard sized cookie pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook. Cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, add confectioner's sugar to the cherry juice. Stir until just combined.
- Drizzle over the cooled cookies
- Chilling the dough for 20-30 minutes will make the dough easier to work with and improve the texture of the cookies
- If you do not have a cookie scoop, you can roll the dough into 1 inch balls
- These cookies are meant to be very moist. If you overcook them, they will become more cake-like. Which is okay, but you don't want them to be too dry.