M&M Brownies are a colorful twist on the classic treat. These fudgy brownies have a rich chocolate flavor with M&Ms candies in every bite. You’ll love the crunch of candy coating and the smooth milk chocolate. And you’ll especially love how easy this M&M Brownie recipe is to make!
M&M Brownies Recipe
It’s tough to beat the taste of homemade brownies! Add M&Ms into the mix and all my self control goes out the window. This M&Ms Fudge Brownie recipe is based on my all time favorite fudgy brownies recipe. It meets all my requirements for brownie perfection: chewy and fudgy with a rich chocolate flavor and a crackly top.
Once you have a perfect brownie base, it’s so easy to make variations by adding your favorite mix-ins. And the only thing better than chocolate? MORE CHOCOLATE. In this case, the chocolate comes in the form of classic M&Ms candies.
As the famous slogan goes: they melt in your mouth, not in your hand. It turns out they hold up beautifully to baking in brownies too. You’ll love the soft brownie texture matched with the toothsome bite of a candy coated M&M. The color of the M&Ms makes the simple brownies eye catching and festive!
How to Make M&Ms Brownies
I used original milk chocolate M&Ms candies to make these. The multicolored M&Ms make them perfect for a celebration!
Other M&M flavors that are delicious in brownies:
- Peanut Butter M&Ms – Peanut butter lover’s can’t resist these.
- Peanut M&Ms – Another favorite that adds more nutty crunch.
- Special Holiday M&Ms – Make them festive for a special holiday or occasion.
- Pretzel M&Ms – Brings a salty crunch to chocolate fudge brownies.
- M&Ms Baking Bits – Designed specifically for baking!
- M&Ms Fudge Brownie- Double the fudge factor in your fudge brownie M&Ms.
More Tips & Tricks
Use melted butter. This helps ensure a softer, fudgier texture.
Do not over mix. After adding the dry ingredients, use large strokes to mix the brownie batter until just combined. Over mixing will incorporate excess air, making the brownies cakey.
Line pan with parchment paper. A square of parchment paper at the bottom of your brownie pan works wonders. No sticking and easy removal!
Add more M&Ms on top. Pressing a few additional M&Ms candies on top of the brownie batter just before baking, makes them look more visually appealing. Plus, I’ll never say “no” to more M&Ms!
How do you store homemade brownies with M&Ms?
Keep these brownies covered with cling wrap, or transfer to an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature for 3 – 4 days if tightly wrapped.
Can you freeze M&Ms Brownies?
Yes, these brownies will freeze well. Transfer to freezer bags and keep frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
What kind of pan do I need?
I use a square 8 inch baking dish for these brownies. Larger pans can be used but the brownies will be thinner and require less baking time. For thick, chewy, fudgy M&M brownies, an 8 or 9 inch square pan is best.
More Brownie Recipes
- Cosmic Brownies
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Andes Mint Brownies
- S’mores Brownies
- How To Make The Best Box Brownies
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies (aka “Slutty Brownies”)
More M&M Recipes
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder Dutch Process recommended
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 -2 cups M&Ms candies
- Position oven rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF
- Line a 8-inch square pan with parchment or alumni paper. Spray with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- Place butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl and heat for one minute. If butter is not fully melted after one minute, return to microwave and heat in 15 second bursts until fully melted. Remove bowl from microwave.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder and salt to the melted butter and mix well to combine. The mixture will likely be dry, that's to be expected.
- Allow mixture to sit for five minutes to make sure it has cooled prior to adding additional ingredients.
- After mixture has cooled slightly, add vanilla and mix well.
- Add room-temperature eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added. Once both eggs have been added, mix with an electric mixer on medium for 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and baking powder, and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture to batter and mix by hand to combine. While we want to avoid over mixing, this batter does need to be stirred well to incorporate all the ingredients. Stirring about 40 strokes with a spoon is a good guide.
- Fold chocolate chips and M&Ms into the batter and gently stir until combined. Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish. If desired, press a few extra M&Ms on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a tester comes out with some moist crumbs attached. Once the center has started to set up and no longer jiggles when you shake the pan, it's time for these brownies to come out to avoid over baking.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy. If not eating the same day, wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Brownies will stay fresh for 3-4 days if well wrapped.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nikki H. says
I use a 9×13 pan for everything that I bake. If I double the recipe and put it in a 9×13 baking it at 325 degrees, how long would you reccomend I bake it for? I’m LOVING all your recipes! They’re to die for!
Christi Johnstone says
Hi Nikki, I haven’t made it that way so I can’t say for certain. I’d add about 10 minutes to the bake time and then just watch and check often.
These came out perfect. First time I had a shiny top on my homemade brownies, thx!