This easy carrot bread recipe is packed full of carrots and zucchini, and is finished off with a delicious cream cheese frosting glaze. Starting your day with a slice of this carrot bread is almost like starting the day with carrot cake, but I’m pretty sure the zucchini totally offsets the fact you are almost eating cake for breakfast. Work with me here, that’s the best excuse I’ve got!
I tend to make a lot of pumpkin bread, banana bread, pumpkin chocolate bread and chocolate chip loaf, yet I seem to forget about carrot and zucchini bread. I think it’s just habit, because the taste with this carrot bread can hold it’s own with any other quick bread recipe. These could also be made into carrot muffins. It’s been a while since I’ve done so and can’t quite recall the baking time. You’d probably want to start checking them about 15 minutes into baking. What I do have is a delicious recipe for carrot cake cupcakes if cupcakes are your thing.
CARROT BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Since I seem to have a habit of overbuying carrots, this carrot bread is a great way to put them to good use. While I topped this carrot bread with cream cheese frosting, you can absolutely skip that step if you prefer. It will still be a wonderful, moist carrot zucchini bread that everyone will love. You definitely can save yourself some calories that way and make it a bit more breakfast suitable if you will. This bread can either be left plain, or finished off with a light dusting of powdered sugar for the hint of something sweet. Another option would be to cut the frosting recipe in half, and just lightly drizzle it over the bread.
Also, if you don’t have zucchini on hand, you can replace the zucchini in this recipe with more grated carrots. Honestly I don’t notice a huge taste difference. However I sure do love the cute little green pops of color that the zucchini gives this carrot bread. Either way you are good to go. Don’t worry if you want or need to leave out the zucchini.
CARROT BREAD RECIPE
Delicious and easy carrot bread with zucchini!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups finely shredded peeled carrots (from about 2 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cups finely shredded zucchini from about 1 small zucchini
- 3 Tbsp butter softened
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter and lightly flour an 8x4” loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined. Add oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined (approximately 1 minute).
- Add shredded carrots, zucchini and flour mixture to the liquid ingredient mixture and mix just until combined, do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared 8x4” pan. Bake for 35 minutes, then carefully place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the loaf pan without removing the pan from the oven, in order to prevent over browning. Continue to bake for an additional 15 - 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in loaf pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely. If desired, frost with frosting once bread has cooled.
- Place softened butter and softened cream cheese into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, salt and vanilla and continue to mix on medium speed until until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Drizzle or pour over cooled bread.
For a fun twist on carrot bread, you can check out the delicious Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread recipe from Mom on Timeout. Jocelyn over at Inside Bru Crew Life as a fantastic Carrot Coconut Bread recipe to try. And don’t miss the amazing Pineapple Carrot Zucchini Bread over at Shugary Sweets.