Pumpkin blondies have been a bit of a recipe challenge for me. While I love baking with pumpkin, it tends to turn many recipes a bit “cakey” if you will. When I think blondies, I want them to be rich, chewy and buttery, not cakey. Blondies should have a brownie like texture in my book. Well it looks like we have a winner with these delicious chewy pumpkin blondies. You guys these pumpkin spice blondies are SO good!
If you are looking for a decadent, chewy pumpkin blondie, look no further. This has the same mouth feel my favorite easy brownies and my favorite blondie recipe, but in a seasonal pumpkin spice flavor! These go a bit over the top with a salted caramel center. Caramel and pumpkin go together wonderfully, especially in these pumpkin blondies. That said, if you want to leave them out, or don’t have them on hand but need these blondies ASAP, you can make them without.
My husband has decided that eating them warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, takes them to a whole other level. Room temperature is just fine for me, but I never say no to a la mode.
One thing I did not include in these are nuts. We have a tree nut allergy in our house, so I don’t use walnuts and pecans. However, I think these pumpkin blondies would be crazy good with the addition of pecans. Walnuts would work as well, though pecans would be my top pick.
Pumpkin and Chocolate
Feel free to add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips to these if you are so inclined. If you like chocolate with your pumpkin, make sure to check out my Pumpkin Brownies recipe as well. For the true chocoloholics, don’t miss my Pumpkin Chocolate Bread!
Pumpkin Blondie Recipe
To begin this recipe you’ll combine brown sugar, butter and canned pumpkin and cook on the stovetop until combined. It’s a bit like making pumpkin butter almost. I’ve found pumpkin butter is one way to combat the cakey texture in pumpkin baked goods. When you make pumpkin butter, some of the moisture in pumpkin reduces. That’s a good thing if you want chewy pumpkin baked goods. Pumpkin butter is what I use in my Chewy Pumpkin Cookies.
After you make your brown sugar, pumpkin and butter mixture, you’ll want to let it cool. Transferring the mixture from the hot pot to a room temperature bowl can help speed this up a bit. While the mixture is cooling I combine my dry ingredients, and unwrap my caramels to prep them.
Once the pumpkin mixture is cool enough, in go the eggs. Just make sure that mixture isn’t too warm or you’ll cook your eggs in it. After that it’s just some vanilla, then combining the wet and dry ingredients. The mixture is somewhere between a dough and a batter, and I found that using a levered ice cream scoop was the best way to get it into my pan.
If you are using caramel to make these Caramel Pumpkin Blondies, you’ll heat your caramel with a small bit of cream. Half the pumpkin blondie batter will go into the pan, then you’ll drizzle the caramel mixture over it. Then finally you top it all with the remaining blondie batter. A small cookie scoop made this easier. Did I mention the dough is pretty sticky? It takes a bit of work to get it all spread and ready in our pan, but it’s so worth it.
These chewy pumpkin blondies are the perfect fall dessert! With a texture that is chewy like a brownie, not cakey, they are decadent and delicious. Caramel filling really adds to the flavor, but can be left out if desired.
- 2 3/4 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 3/4 cups butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten and at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp grond cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 10 oz package Brach's Milk Maid Caramels squares unwrapped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream milk can be used if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, line a 13x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray (the caramel can make this very sticky!)
- In a medium size pot, combine brown sugar, butter and pumpkin. Cook over medium heat, stirring until all ingredients have melted and combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Stir well to combine.
- Once liquid mixture has cooled, add beaten eggs and vanilla and stir well to combine. It's important the mixture is cooled to avoid cooking the eggs when you add them. Next, add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined, but do not overmix.
- Place caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on High for 1 minute, then stir. Cook on 50% power for 30 seconds, then stir again. Repeat at 50% power until thoroughly melted, being careful to avoid scorching.
- Scoop half the blondie batter into the prepared pan. Spread until mixture fully covers the bottom of the pan. Next, drizzle caramel sauce over blondie batter. Finally, scoop remaining blondie batter over the top of caramel, then spread to cover caramel.
- Bake for approximately 33-38 minutes or until top appears fully cooked and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool prior to cutting.
- Serve at room temperature, or heat for 15-20 seconds in microwave to warm. If serving warm, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Store tightly wrapped.
If desired you can add in one cup of pecans, walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips!
Make sure to line and spray your pain. The caramel can cause sticking to the pan if not properly prepared.
If you don't have caramels on hand, it's okay to skip them.
Looking for more pumpkin and caramel recipes? I’ve got some great ones for you! I have a great recipe for Pumpkin Caramel Cookies. Dinner, Dishes & Desserts has some yummy Pumpkin Caramel Layer Bars you need to try. Caramel Pumpkin Lava Cakes from Grandbaby Cakes are irresistible. My Pumpkin Cupcakes that are filled with caramel are always a big hit. Last but not least, these Pumpkin Caramel Spice Waffles from Bless This Mess are one heck of a delicious way to start your day!