Rich and delicious, this easy CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPE is my go to recipe for making chocolate cupcakes. This recipe is almost as simple as making cupcakes from a box mix. Chocolate lovers can rejoice as this homemade chocolate cupcake recipe comes together in no time.
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPE
If you’ve got a chocolate craving, I promise you this chocolate cupcake recipe will take care of it. This delicious recipe doesn’t skimp on the chocolate flavor.
Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes
While this is a from scratch chocolate cupcake recipe, I have absolutely no problem making cupcakes from a box mix. I am a big fan of doctored cake mixes. These Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes are always a hit! If you want to stick with a cake mix, I highly recommend following that doctored cupcake recipe.
However today we are going the homemade cupcake route. This is an easy chocolate cupcake recipe from scratch.
This recipe pairs perfectly with my chocolate frosting recipe. Together they are a match made in chocolate covered heaven. I could, and have, eat the chocolate frosting with a spoon. Don’t judge.
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes
If you’ve never made cupcakes from scratch, don’t worry, it’s easy! This recipe uses simple ingredients and is very straightforward. It is so simple it can actually be made in one bowl. You simply combine dry ingredients, add your wet ingredients, mix and bake. Full printable recipe is found below.
Ingredients At A Glance
- Granulated Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder – Natural, Not Dutch Process – learn the difference here
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
Instructions At A Glance
- Pre-heat oven and prepare cupcake pan.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and combine well.
- Fill prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake for approximately 22-25 minutes.
Making A Cake Instead Of Cupcakes
If chocolate cake is more your style, no worries, I’ve got you covered! My Hershey’s Chocolate Cake recipe gives you the cake version of these cupcakes.
Today’s chocolate cupcake recipe is a twist on this chocolate cake recipe. One thing different about the cake recipe is that it I typically replace the water with coffee in the cake version. You can easily replace the water in this cupcake recipe with coffee as well.
I’m not a coffee drinker, but the combo of chocolate and coffee together in baked goods is it’s on special thing. I urge you to try it, especially if you are a dark chocolate fan.
I also have a fantastic Chocolate Overload Cake recipe you can check out. I’m a big fan of Bundt cakes, and this chocolate bundt cake recipe is no exception. I mean check this out!
More Recipes For Chocolate Lovers
If you can’t get enough chocolate, here are some other recipes I recommend trying!
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Caramel Bars
- Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse
- Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Muffins
More Chocolate Cupcake Recipes
If you are looking for a bit of a twist on this traditional chocolate cupcake recipe, I have a few suggestions.
- Real Housemoms has a great recipe for Chocolate Orange Cupcakes, perfect if you love a touch of citrus with your chocolate.
- Brown Eyed Baker has some decadent Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes – you just can’t go wrong with chocolate, caramel and salt!
- And speaking of great combos, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes bring together the best of two of my favorite desserts, thanks to RecipeGirl.
Now back to our homemade chocolate cupcake recipe. Get ready, you’ll be stuffing one (or two) of these babies in your mouth in no time!
Easy Chocolate Cupcake Recipe From Scratch
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder natural, not Dutch process
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup water boiling
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with standard sized cupcake liners.
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Carefully stir in boiling water. The batter will be quite thin. Fill prepared cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on a wire cooling rack prior to frosting.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Check out all of my CUPCAKE RECIPES!
If you want an utterly amazing chocolate frosting recipe to top these with, I’ve got one for you! Check out my chocolate frosting recipe!