This Easy Key Lime Pie Recipe creates an irresistible dessert that is creamy, refreshing and the perfect balance of sweet and tart. With a delicious lime filling that is perfectly paired with a graham cracker crust, this is a pie that your friends and family will rave about!
Reasons you’ll love this recipe!
- Enjoy classic vacation flavor right at home with this easy recipe.
- Simple to make, this pie comes together quickly and easily. No complicated instructions to be found here!
- The creamy custard filling sets up wonderfully.
- While we love this recipe exactly as is, you can get creative and use a variety of citrus fruits to create new and different versions of this pie.
How To Make Key Lime Pie
If you’ve never made a key lime pie recipe before, good news – it’s easy! One of the things I love about this recipe is that it always turns out wonderfully – even for beginning bakers! Lime is one of those flavors that often gets forgotten, but once you taste it you remember what makes it so very amazing!
Let’s discuss how to make this delicious lime pie recipe, as well as the ingredients that are needed for it. Please take note that below you will find discussion, expert tips, and answers to frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you recreate it in your kitchen.
If you *just* want the recipe itself, scroll down. The full printable recipe itself, with exact measurements and instructions, is found at the bottom of this page
The ingredients to make this pie are common and straight forward. Let’s go over what you’ll need to make the best key lime pie recipe in your own kitchen.
- Graham crumbs – You can make your own or buy them ready made.
- Brown sugar – Light or dark brown sugar work perfectly with this recipe.
- Salted butter – If you don’t have salted butter, consider using a pinch of salt. Salt really compliments the sweetness of the graham crackers very well.
- Key lime juice – Fresh is really best for this recipe. If you can’t find key limes, I would use a different lime variety before I’d go with bottled lime juice.
- Key lime zest – Just like with the juice, fresh is best.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Make sure you have sweetened condensed milk. The other canned milk that people commonly buy is evaporated milk. Make sure you have the correct one.
- Sour cream – I prefer a full fat sour cream in this recipe.
- Egg yolks – Take note that this is just the yolks.
- Powdered sugar – Also called confectioners sugar. I typically don’t sift mine unless I see lumps, and then by all means, give it a sift.
This pie really is a cinch to make. Start by making your Graham Cracker Crust. I wrote an entire post walking you through the crust itself, so make sure to check that out.
To make the filling, all of the remaining ingredients are mixed together in a mixing bowl.
Once combined they are poured into the pie crust and baked for approximately 15 minutes. That’s all there is to it!
After baking the pie needs to cool to room temperature, then be chilled in the refrigerator for three or more hours to fully set up. After that feel free to garnish with lime slices and whipped cream. Your friends and family will rave about this amazing pie!
Fresh really is best! This pie turns out much better with fresh lime juice. As mentioned, I would suggest using a different variety of lime before turning to the bottled lime juice.
If the pie is still a little jiggly when shaking after baking for 15 minutes, give it an additional five minutes in the oven. If it is just ever so slightly jiggly in the middle, go ahead and pull it out. The heat from the pie will help it finish cooking, even once removed from the oven.
Cover the key lime pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil,and it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Or you may keep it frozen for up to a month if tightly wrapped.
Frequently Asked Question (F.A.Q.)
Could this pie be made without eggs? Egg yolks give the pie a rich taste and a velvety texture. If you prefer you could leave them out. It will still be delicious, just not quite as decadent as intended.
Can this be made in a baking pan? Yes. If desired, this recipe can be made in an 8×8 inch baking pan.
How many limes does it take to make 1 cup of juice? Depending on the size of the limes and how fresh they are, you will need 1-2 pounds of limes for 1 cup of juice.
I can’t find fresh limes, what should I use? If you are going to use a packaged lime juice, I highly recommend going with Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice.
Love this recipe? Pin it!Click to pin.
Easy Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 1 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 tbsp key lime zest
- 2 14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the key lime juice, zest, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, 2 egg yolks, and powdered sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 15 minutes. It should wiggle just slightly in the center when you give it a little shake. If however the pie is very jiggly, leave it in and check it every 5 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate the pie for at least 3 hours to allow it to fully set up. Serve with whipped cream and lime zest or lime slices if desired.