When you can’t decide whether to make oatmeal cookies or chocolate chip cookies there’s only one answer: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
This recipe I’m sharing with you today creates a deliciously chewy cookie made even better by the addition of chocolate chips. I love the combination of chocolate and oatmeal in a cookie whether in morsel form like this recipe or from cocoa powder as in these Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.
Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a sea of oatmeal cookie recipes, this one stands out as among the very best I’ve ever made. This recipe is a take on my beloved Oatmeal Scotchies. Aside from leaving out the cinnamon, the only change I made was to substitute chocolate chips for the butterscotch.
As I expected they would, they came out perfectly. I like both the butterscotch version and the chocolate chip version of these oatmeal cookies equally but I think at the end of the day the rest of my family would choose chocolate chips every time.
If you like Chewy Oatmeal Cookies, you will love these! They’re extremely chewy with the satisfying slight crunch of the oatmeal making them even better. Easy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies deserve a place on the dessert table at your next party, potluck or book club.
We also love these as an afternoon snack. All you need is a cup of coffee or a glass of milk and you’re all set!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Making these cookies is as easy as making any standard chocolate chip or drop cookie recipe. Just mix the ingredients for the dough, bake and enjoy.
Note: I find that chilling the dough first creates and even chewier cookie texture. This step isn’t required but, if you have the time, I highly recommend it. Even an hour in the fridge makes a difference, but you can let the dough chill for up to 24 hours to great results.
I also like to sprinkle a little salt on top of the cookies before they go in the oven for extra flavor.
I’ve made this recipe a few times now, trying it with both chocolate chunks and chocolate chips. Both options are delicious. If you’ve never put chocolate chunks in your cookies before, give it a try sometime. The slight texture difference makes for a nice way to shake things up!
Like my Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies, these cookies disappeared within a few hours when left unattended in my house. They’re that good.
All this talk about oatmeal cookies is making want to bake another batch of these tonight. Or maybe some Oatmeal Cookie Muffins? Or both. Probably both.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chewy easy to make treats are the best chocolate chip cookie with oatmeal I’ve had in a while. I hope you like them, too!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar dark or light, though this is a great one for dark
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon if you like a lot of cinnamon, you can go to 1 tsp
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups quick cook oats
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips dark chocolate chips or chunks are great as well
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, at least 2-3 minutes, using a stand mixer or electric mixer.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats. Stir until well mixed.
- Combine the dry mixture, with the wet mixture, and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips or chunks. *Cover tightly and chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Using a large cookie scoop, drop scoopfuls of dough onto baking sheet, at least 2" apart. Optional - if desired, sprinkle sea salt on top of cookies.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cookies start to brown around edges. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on sheets, placed on wire cooling racks, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
If you love Chocolate Chip Cookies, make sure to check out all of my Best Chocolate Chip Cookies gathered up in one post!