Pumpkin Dump Cake might be one of the easiest and most delicious desserts you’ll make this fall. All you need are a few minutes and a few ingredients to make this tasty treat.
Fall is almost in the air in Phoenix (it takes a while) and I’m ready for all the delicious recipes it brings. This recipe gives you the flavor of pumpkin pie in a quick and easy dump cake.
If you’ve never made a dump cake, they are as easy as it comes. I’ve previously shared a Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake, Blueberry Dump Cake and Peach Dump Cake. Now it time for pumpkin to join the crowd. While dump cakes do not provide the traditional cake consistency, I’d describe this one as a bit like a pumpkin pie with a crumb topping.
How To Make Pumpkin Dump Cake
As you can see from the image above, the ingredients are simple and straight forward. You’ll start with a cake mix. While a spice cake mix or pumpkin cake mix is ideal, I’ve found yellow cake mix works out just fine. If using a yellow cake mix, you’ll simply need to mix your dry cake mix with some pumpkin pie spice prior to sprinkling it on your cake.
Making this recipe is a snap. Milk, spices, sugar and eggs are all combined in one bowl. That mixture is poured into a 13×9 inch baking pan, then your cake mix is sprinkled over the top. If you are using pecans, those get sprinkled on as well. Then your butter is cut into very thin slices and are placed all over the cake, covering the entire cake. Then into the oven it goes, that’s it!
As I mentioned earlier, this Pumpkin Dump Cake does not have the consistency of a typical cake. I’m almost inclined to call it more of a dessert or even a pan pie, but I’m not sure that’s a thing. The base layer will be very much like pumpkin pie, and the top layer will be a buttery almost crumb like topping. You can serve it warm or cold, with or without ice cream or whipped cream.
More Pumpkin Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, you’ll want to try these pumpkin recipes as well.
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies
- Libbys Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Starbucks Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 30 oz canned pumpkin make sure not to use pumpkin pie filling
- 16 oz evaporated milk make sure not to use sweetened condensed
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice* *if using yellow cake mix, you'll need 2 tsp
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 standard size package spice, pumpkin or yellow cake mix, dry mix *if using yellow cake mix, mix it with 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice prior to using
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 3/4 cup cold butter keeping butter cold makes it easier to slice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin, milk, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, eggs and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix, and chopped pecans if using, evenly over the top pumpkin mixture. Slice butter into thin pats and cover entire surface of cake with thin pats of butter.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Serve warm or cold, with ice cream or whipped cream.