Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are a delicious, inexpensive and family friendly dinner option. Slow cooked in your favorite barbecue sauce, pulled chicken is one of the easiest meals you can throw into the crockpot on a busy morning.
Reasons to Make Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- You just need three ingredients: chicken, BBQ sauce and a small onion for this recipe. No time consuming prep required.
- Barbecue chicken is picky eater approved. Kids love the sweet tangy chicken and people who want a little more heft to their sandwiches can top the pulled chicken with pickles, onions and coleslaw, or what ever they’d like.
- You can easily freeze the meat in meal sized portions to have on hand whenever you need a quick meal.
- This chicken recipe can stretch to feed a crowd if that’s what you need.
- Take it with you. It’s easy to set up a pulled chicken sandwich bar at a pot luck or picnic.
How to Make Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Like I said before, to make this easy recipe, all you need are chicken breasts an onion and BBQ sauce. I prefer to use Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ sauce but you can use your favorite.
Place the meat and sliced onion in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over top. That’s all there is to it. If the chicken is frozen, you can put it in the crockpot without thawing but it will need two extra hours of cooking time.
When the meat is done, pull it out onto a cutting board to shred it. The chicken should come apart easily with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot and mix it well with the juices. Use a slotted spoon or small strainer to serve the meat.
Serving BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
This chicken is swimming in yummy BBQ sauce and juices in the slow cooker. To prevent soggy buns, scoop the meat out with a slotted spoon. If you want to serve these as BBQ Chicken Sliders, pair them with my Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls. When it comes to toppings, I usually top it with red onion, pickles and my KFC Coleslaw Recipe.
What To Serve With BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
When it comes to side dishes, this is such a flexible meal. In a rush? A bag of chips and some baby carrots will get you through. When I have more time I’ll make a more substantial side like Glazed Carrots, Homemade Mac and Cheese or Easy Rotini Pasta Salad. My kids love when I pair these with Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries!
I love the versatility of this dish. If you don’t have rolls on hand, you can serve the BBQ chicken over rice. You’ll want to keep the juices, the rice tastes amazing soaked in chicken broth bbq sauce.
While it’s always hard to pick my favorite desserts, I think the ones below are my top suggestions to pair with these sandwiches.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Berry Crumble Bars
- Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- Homemade Brownies
- Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peach Dump Cake
- Lemon Icebox Pie
- Apple Crisp
Storing Pulled BBQ Chicken
You can store BBQ chicken in an airtight container and freeze for 4-6 months. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days safely.
More Dinner Recipes To Try
Crockpot chicken sandwiches are awesome. They are quick, easy, versatile and most importantly the sandwiches taste delicious. If you like this recipe, make sure to try some of my other favorite easy dinners recipes.
Easy Crockpot Dinners
- Crockpot Beef Chili
- Beef Stew Crockpot Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
Great Chicken Dinners
- Southwestern Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Breaded Chicken Parmesan
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 8 oz BBQ sauce
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place chicken, BBQ Sauce and onion to crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Shred cooked chicken and stir to combine.
- Before serving, let some of the sauce drain to prevent soggy bread. Serve on your favorite buns with additional BBQ sauce, coleslaw, red onion, pickles or your favorite combination of toppings.
- Frozen chicken can be used, be sure to increase cooking time 1-2 hours depending on your slow cooker. Chicken is done when it can easily be pulled apart.
- I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, but use your favorite.
- White onion can be used or you can leave the onion out all together if you prefer.
- Remove chicken to cutting board for easier shredding.
- Use a slotted spoon or small strainer to drain excess sauce before putting the chicken on the roll.